SHORT CURRICULUM VITAE
Date of Birth: 23th Decemberr, 1983
Place of Birth: Larisa, Greece
Address: Department of Mechanical Engineering,
University of Thessaly,
Pedion Areos, Volos 38334, Greece
July 2006: Diploma in Mechanical Engineering (5-year professional degree), Department of Mechanical & Industrial Engineering, University of Thessaly, Volos, Greece.Grade 7.51/10, Thesis title: “Stress Analysis of Industrial Piping-Finite Elements and Analytical Solutions,” Advisor: Dr. S. A. Karamanos.
September 2008: Post-Graduate Diploma in Mechanical Engineering (equivalent to Μ.Sc.), Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering, University of Thessaly, Greece. Grade 8.60/10, Post-Graduate Diploma title:“'Numerical Simulation of Mechanical Behavior of Industrial Elbows”,Advisor: Dr. S.A. Karamanos.
2013: Ph.D. in Structural Mechanics, Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Thessaly, Volos, Greece (expected), Ph.D title: “Structural Stability of Cylindrical Steel Shells in the Inelastic Range”,Advisor: Dr. S.A. Karamanos.
Research interests: Structural Mechanics, Numerical Methods and Finite Elements, Stability and Buckling, Inelastic Behavior of Materials and Structures, Design & Analysis of Steel Structures, Design & Analysis of Pipelines and Industrial Structures, Structural Dynamics & Earthquake Engineering.
Participation in research projects:
- OPUS - Optimizing the Seismic Performance of Steel and Steel-Concrete Structures by Standardizing Material Quality Control.RFSR-CT-2007-00039, duration: 36 months (2007 – 2010).
- ATTEL:Performance-based approaches for high strength tubular columns and connections under earthquake and fire loadings.RFSR-CT-2008-00035, duration: (2008 – 2011).
- INDUSE - Structural safety of industrial steel tanks, pressure vessels and piping systems under seismic loading. RFSR-CT-2009-00022, duration: 42 months (2009 - 2012).
Publications in Referred Journals
- Pappa P. and Karamanos, S. A., “A J2 Non-Associative Constitutive Model for Finite Element Buckling Calculations of Cylindrical Metal Shells.”, Computer Methods in Applied Mechanics and Engineering (to be submitted December 2012).
Publications in Conferences
- Pappa P., Tsouvalas D., Houliara S. and Karamanos, S.A., 2008, “Ultimate Capacity of Pipe Bends under Bending and Pressure”, 27th International Conference on Offshore Mechanics and Arctic Engineering, June 10-15, 2008, Estoril, Portugal.
- Pappa P., Karamanos, S.A., 2009, “Numerical Implementation of J2 Non-associative Flow Plasticity Models”, 10th International Conference on Computational Plasticity, Barcelona.
- Pappa P., Vasilikis D., Vazouras P., Karamanos, S.A., 2011, “On the Seismic Behaviour and Design of Liquid Storage Tanks ”, III ECCOMAS Thematic Conference on Computational Methods in Structural Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, COMPDYN 2011, Corfu, Greece, 26–28 May 2011.
- Varelis G.E., Pappa P., Karamanos S.A., 2011, “Simulation of Industrial Elbow Response under Strong Cyclic Loading”, III ECCOMAS Thematic Conference on Computational Methods in Structural Dynamics and Earthquake Engineering, COMPDYN 2011, Corfu, Greece, 26–28 May 2011.
- Pappa P., Karamanos, S.A., 2011, “Numerical Implementation of J2 Non-Associative Flow Plasticity Models for Shell Buckling in the Inelastic Range”, 7th GRACM International Congress on Computational Mechanics, Athens, 30 June – 2 July 2011.
- Varelis G.E., Pappa P., Karamanos S.A., 2011, “Finite Element Analysis of Industrial Steel Elbows Under Strong Cyclic Loading”, Pressure Vessels and Piping Conference, ASME, PVP2011, Baltimore, Maryland, 17 – 21 July 2011.
- Pappa P., Karamanos, S.A., 2011, “Non-Associative Constitutive Model and Numerical Implementation for Buckling Calculations in Cylindrical Steel Shells”, 6th International Conference on Thin Walled Structures, ICTWS2011, Timisoara, Romania, 5 – 7 September 2011.
- Pappa P., Varelis G.E., Karamanos S.A., Stefanou G., 2011, “Effects of Material Variability on the Seismic Performance of Steel Buildings” , 7th National Conference on Steel Structures , Volos, 29 -30 September and 1 October 2011.
- Pappa, P., and Karamanos, S. A., 2012, "Buckling and classification of high-strength steel CHS tubular members under axial compression and bending." 14th International Symposium on Tubular Structures, London, September 2012.
Fellowship Award from Alexander Onassis Foundation for MSc Studies at the Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Thessaly, Volos, Greece.